Saturday 19 March 2016

Day of the Dead

Hello folks and a very happy Saturday afternoon to you all

Now today's card is completely different for me. Whenever I am asked what style cards I like to make my reply is always "cute" because that is the type of stamps I am drawn too. So you can imagine my surpise when I saw the Day of the Dead collection from Sheena Douglass and fell in love with it. No idea why; it is completely opposite to my normal style but love it I do. It was really difficult to choose which of the stamps and dies I prefered so I bought the complete set! This is the first card I made - 
I have used a combination of stamps for this card but the main focal point is sugar skull stamp set which I cut first using the sugar skull die from watercolour card and then stamped with Stazon ink. I then stamped the flowers (from the stamp set) randomly over the skull and coloured the whole thing with my Spectrum Aqua blend pencils - 

  • plum red, wild orchid, crocus and gunmetal

To make the background I dampened a piece of Sheena's stamping card with water and then applied the aqua pencils with a paintbrush directly onto the card. I then flicked some of the colour onto the card using a wet paintbrush. This was very trial and error  but I am very pleased with the results. After watching Sheena's shows I think I really need the Aqua tints too. (Oh no more spending, my hubby will kill me!!)

When the card was dry I then stamped the corner and edging stamp (from Dancing skeleton stamp set) in Memento grape jelly ink. I then added a sentiment from Danse Macabre stamp set.

Products used - 

  • sugar skull stamp set            )
  • sugar skull die set                ) All from Sheena's Day of the
  • dancing skeleton stamp set  ) dead range
  • Spectrum Aqua blend pencils
  • watercolour card
  • Sheena's stamping card
  • matt black card
  • purple core'dinations
  • memento grape jelly ink pad
  • sentiment from Danse Macabre stamp set (from Sheena's Day of the dead range).

A little long winded blog post today but I wanted to explain the techniques I had used.

Thank you for stopping by.

Crafty hugs
Lesley


1 comment:

  1. When I saw these stamps I immediately thought of the skull die I worked with at the beginning of the year for TL's USA shows and like you wondered what on earth I could do with it.

    But I think you have done a great job with this one and even made it feminine with your choice of colours.

    Hope you have a good weekend.

    B x

    ReplyDelete